While life on the road certainly requires some sacrifices, coffee should not be one of them. There is no better way to start your day than to wake up in the Great Outdoors and enjoy the views while taking a sip of freshly brewed coffee. And we are about to introduce you to your new favorite eco-friendly, fair trade coffee to make on your camping and van life adventures or at home!
Best Eco-friendly Fair Trade Instant Coffee
All Mount Hagen coffees are grown under shade trees in an organic and biodynamic coffee cultivation in Papua New Guinea. The company focuses on long-term collaboration with the owners of the small coffee plantations, as well as on development aid in cooperation with existing structures in the region, such as universities and NGOs.
The ripe coffee beans are picked by hand and carefully selected. They are then pulped, fermented, washed multiple times and dried for 8-10 days, before being shipped to Hamburg, Germany.
Mount Hagen instant coffee is certified by USDA Organic and Fairtrade. That means you can be guaranteed that the coffee production does not include chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Sustainable water resource management is another key guideline in the process.
Mount Hagen 100% Arabica is seriously one of the most delicious instant coffees we have ever tried. It tastes less like regular instant coffee and more like the high quality brew from your favorite coffee shop. The smooth dark roast is exactly what you need to get out of bed/ your tent in the morning. If you didn’t know this coffee was freeze dried, you would probably suspect it.
While you most likely won’t find this product in your local supermarket, it is so worth ordering it. Especially when organic, eco-friendly, fair alternatives to Nescafe (which by the way can’t compete with Mount Hagen’s flavor) aren’t available in your area, which is often the case while traveling.
Mount Hagen Organic Fair Trade Instant Coffee is available on Amazon. Check it out here.
Other Eco-Friendly Coffees We Love
Ethical Bean Coffee
- 100% Arabica coffee
- seasonally sourced
- 100% Fair Trade certified
- unique QR code on every bag to find out where your coffee comes from
- produced in Vancouver and available in stores across the US and Canada
- grown on farms in Peru, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia and Ethiopia
- available in whole bean or ground
- this product is available on Amazon here.
Wicked Joe Coffee
- certified B Corp company
- Fair Trade certified
- USDA Organic Certified
- produced with roasters that run off of natural gas (known for their clean, smoke free outputs, they use 80% less energy than traditional drum roasters)
- clean energy for the public grid offsets electricity bill for coffee production
- electric company vehicles
- cooperation with local composting company We Compost It!
- This product is available on Amazon here.