Exploring nature by foot is an exciting and rewarding activity for everyone. From short and easy trails to difficult week-long treks, hiking can be enjoyed all year long and pretty much everywhere in the world. One of the great aspects about it is that you don’t need lots of gear to get started – just pack your backpack and grab your hiking boots, and the adventure can begin! But what are the best eco-friendly hiking boots for an amazing outdoor experience?
In order to find the best hiking boots to fit your needs, you have to ask yourself a few questions first:
- What conditions are you going to be hiking in? Hot weather or deep snow?
- Do you plan on starting with easy to moderate hikes or is it going to be a technical climb?
- Do you need waterproof hiking boots?
- Rather high or mid ankle?
- What role does the weight or your boots play? Are you backpacking and have to carry them around when you’re not wearing them?
Here’s an overview of our favorite eco-friendly hiking boots for all conditions:
|Vegan Hiking Boots||Best For||Price|
|Astral Minimalist Hiking Boot||Backpacking, Camping||Check price on Amazon for Women here and for Men here|
|Arc’teryx Acrux TR GTX Boot||Challenging Terrain||Check price on Amazon for Women here and for Men here|
|Topo Athletic Trailventure Hiking Boot||Speed Hiking||Check price on Amazon for Women here and for Men here|
|Inov-8 Roclite 345 GTX||Stability and Comfort||Check price on Amazon for Women here and for Men here|
Why Vegan Hiking Boots?
All the hiking boots that we recommend are vegan, which means they don’t contain leather (usually from cows) or other animal products (sometimes found in glues etc.). We have written an in-depth article about the benefits of being vegan, which we recommend you check out if you would like to learn more about veganism.
Besides being more eco-friendly, vegan hiking boots have several other advantages:
- lower maintenance
- usually lower costs
- dry quicker
- lower weight
However, it is important to make the right choice, as not all vegan alternatives are high quality products. It is also very important to understand that vegan does not automatically mean eco-friendly!
About the Boot
- 5mm lugs for maximum grip
- made from G.15™ high friction Rubber
- breathable, quick-dry canvas with protective TPU overlays
- stabilizing heel counter
- Wider toe box for stability
- Weight: 346 g/ 12.2 oz (very lightweight compared to other vegan hiking boots!)
Astral uses recycled polyester in the production of their vegan hiking boots, and sources materials as sustainably as possible. Their promise: To put Nature First.
About the Boot
- technical trekking boot for multi-day routes in challenging terrain
- delivers support and comfort under the load of a heavy pack
- exceptional abrasion resistance
- made for confident traction in wet or dry conditions
- GORE-TEX (waterproof and breathable)
The company creates high quality gear and is known in the industry to work on sustainable solutions for the planet and your outdoor adventures.
They commit to
- a Science-Based Carbon Target on Climate Action
- working towards a circular economy
- Fair Trade certification & improving working conditions
Plus, with their Used Gear initiative, they buy back and sell gear in good condition.
Multi-day routes in challenging terrain
About the Boot
- rip-stop mesh upper with full eVent waterproof and breathable bootie construction
- optimal traction in wet conditions
- 3-piece ZipFoam midsole and ESS rock plate provide cushioning, stability and protection
- stack Height: 30mm (heel) / 25mm (forefoot)
- heel to toe drop: 5mm
- weight: 411g / 14.5 oz
About Topo Athletic
Topo Athletic is a member of The Conservation Alliance. They furthermore claim to recycle and upcycle all products and packaging.
About the Boot
- graphene outsole rubbers for 50% stronger, 50% more elastic and 50% harder wearing soles
- waterproof – best protection against water and deep snow
- ADAPTERWEB met-cradle adapts to the natural movement and swelling of the foot in motion
- midsole stack: heel 16mm / 0,6 in, forefoot 8mm / 0,3 in
- 345g / 12.1oz
Inov8 has developed award-winning boots and is definitely one of the best choices when it comes to eco-friendly vegan hiking boots.
The company incorporates recycled materials into their collections. They also use packaging made from recycled materials.
Stability and Comfort all day long